Apply to be a Peer Mentor
“I hope you will consider responding to this call to assume a leadership and mentor role for the incoming freshmen class; to serve and give back to your University in a unique and powerful way while simultaneously molding and honing your leadership skills to become one of the leaders for which Ole Miss is known.”
—AJ Barrios, 2012 Peer Mentor and ASB Cabinet Member
At the end of the semester, mentors who have successfully completed all elements of the program will receive a $250 scholarship. In addition to the scholarship, mentors will also benefit from the opportunities to:
- Perform service to the university, its community, and fellow students.
- Gain leadership, community engagement, and mentoring skills.
- Serve in a positive leadership role at the university.
- Build positive relationships with the dedicated faculty, staff, and students in the FASTrack program.
To become a peer mentor, you must be at least a sophomore by the fall of 2015 and in good academic standing. You must also be able to attend all of our training sessions in the spring of 2015. Additionally, the program also seeks individuals who:
- Can commit to attending a Tuesday/Thursday EDHE 105 class during the fall of 2015
- Maintain a great enthusiasm and love for the university, its goals and its ideals.
- Possess knowledge of the academic and campus resources and are involved around campus.
- Have a sincere sensitivity and respect for diverse student populations.
- Are responsible, dependable and flexible.
- Can communicate well with all types of people.
- Want to work with freshmen students in both academic and extracurricular capacities.
If you are interested in serving as a Peer Mentor, please see the links to our application and reference form below. Printed applications and references are due to Hume 227 by February 20, 2015. For more questions about the application process, please contact our Director of Peer Mentoring, Sarah Smitherman.